All our Studio Evenings are held in the Education Centre at ‘Nature in Art', Twigworth, Gloucester, GL2 9PA, on the third Monday of every month. Please take a look at our 2018 programme below.
The Nature in Art 'Wallsworth Centre' is through the garden to the left of the main house close to the car park, the side gate from the car park into the garden will be open. Please arrive around 7.00 pm for a prompt 7.30 pm start (after GSA announcements at 7.15), the session will conclude at around 9.30 pm. Refreshments will be served, a raffle will be held, and all members and their guests are most welcome.
SCROLL DOWN FOR OUR FULL PROGRAMME OF EVENTS AND ACTIVITIES FOR 2018 INCLUDING STUDIO EVENINGS, OUTINGS AND PAINTING DAYS, KEEP WATCHING THIS SPACE FOR MORE INFO & UPDATES.
STUDIO EVENINGS AND DATES FOR YOUR DIARY 2018
- Studio Evening January 15th 2018. BARBARA SWINDON. Barbara will be giving a talk on her life and experiences as an Artist and Mountaineer.
- Artists in Residence. GSA President Simon Trapnell has very kindly offered the GSA the opportunity to be Artist in Residence for a week in February 13th -18th. I am drawing up a rota for this. Please let me know if you are interested.
- Studio Evening February 19th 2018. We will holding our annual Critique evening. Please bring in examples of your work and ask the audience for their feedback and constructive comments.
- Selection to Full Membership of the GSA will take place when any member wishes to put their work forward for assessment. If anyone is interested in joining please let our secretary know, then they can submit 3 finished works of art supported by sketches and other work. The committee will then look at the work and award full membership or give advice on trying again. Please remember many members did not get fully accepted the first time!
- Renewal of Membership for 2018/19 became due on 1st March 2018. Renewal Forms and membership subscriptions should be sent to Jackie Herbert who will pay them directly into the bank. Forms and details attached, discounts will be given to members joining after the 6 month mark.
- Studio Evening March 19th 2018. GSA A.G.M. Introducing our lucky new members!
- Studio Evening April 16th 2018. Roger Jones. Roger Jones is an accomplished Artist in Oils and Pastels. With many examples of his work he demonstrated how an artist can use paint creatively to compose a scene to show atmosphere, emotion and interest and not be a slave to copying exactly. With his experience in film making, being a producer of wild life films for BBC Bristol and also being involved in the making of “Blue Planet”, he was able to show us how the same techniques are used in film making, through perspective, tone, light and shade, as in creating a painting.
The GSA appreciated his talent, asked many questions and viewed his numerous examples of work. This was a popular studio evening and well attended.
- Saturday 28th April. GSA Activity Painting the Blue bells in Highnam Woods. 10.00 am to 4.00 pm. See details below.
- Sunday 13th May. Come and join us painting outdoors in the beautiful Highnam Court gardens in Gloucester, all in aid of the NSPCC. For more details please contact Marilyn Hughes as soon as possible at email@example.com. Thank You.
- Studio Evening May 21st 2018. Jackie Cox gave us a hands on Colour Pencil experience. After telling us a little history of the 'coloured pencil', and explaining the enormous range of options available today, Jackie set us to work trying out her oil and wax pencils, graphite, charcoal, water soluble pencils and much more. There was a very good turn out and much trial and experimentation took place with some exciting results! Many of us were trying both pencil work and techniques for the first time. Many thanks to Jackie for a most enjoyable evening.
- Studio Evening June 18th 2018. All members were invited to an outdoor drawing evening at Nature In Art. Wine and nibbles were served on this glorious sunny evening! A great turnout to a fun event.
- Studio Evening July 16th 2018. Jane Garbett - "Abstraction.. A Brief History and my Personal Practice as an Abstract Painter". Jane gave a fascinating talk about Abstract Art looking at its history and how she creates her own work. Beginning with Turner and Monet she illustrated the huge variety of work from many artists including Cezanne, Picasso, Kline, Pollack, Rothco, Lee Krasner and Helen Frankelthaler. Using examples of her own work Jane explained how abstract art needs to have no subject matter but illustrates a feeling that comes from within the artist. It creates this feeling by its composition, by using the texture of the paint, its look and feel, matt, shiny, rough or flowing, by the use of colour to create atmosphere and the strength of the mark making to give it structure. The key is that the painting resonates with the artist and subsequently with the onlooker. Anyone who has tried knows this is not easy! Thank you Jane for a fascinating insight.
- Studio Evening August 20th 2018. Frances Williams on 'Intuitive Art', bring your own paper and materials. A really inspiring session with Frances and some of the work produced by members was good enough o exhibited in our Summer Exhibition! We should all be able to move on from here!
- Saturday 15th September. GSA OUTING TO PURTON SHIPS GRAVEYARD
The weather was fine for the GSA outing to the Purton Ships Graveyard. We had an enjoyable day sitting on the banks of the river sketching and painting the amazing abandoned boats. The site is of historical and scientific interest and was created to stop the erosion of the shoreline and prevent the river eroding the canal embankment which runs alongside. What a great subject for painting! See picture at top of this section!
- Studio Evening September 17th 2018. Jackie Garner will be leading a 'Life Drawing' class. As always Jackie gave us an excellent and challenging evening. Beginning with brief time limited pieces and building up to more detailed work the results were very encouraging for all.
- Studio Evening October 15th 2018. CARTOON CREATING BY NIKKI MOORE
This is the first time at GSA that we have had a cartoonist giving us a talk. Nikki Moore although a professional graphic artist had often been given the task of creating cartoons and at one time in her career it had become all consuming. How ever since retirement Nikki has concentrated on animal cartoons. She ran through the procedure of creating a cartoon drawing and the group was invited to have a go. We had fun creating our own cartoon characters, animals, humans and fantastical beings. We were invited to look at her own cartoons mostly of horses and many of us had a good laugh. Thank you, Nikki for that!
- Studio Evening November 19th 2018. Charmaine King demonstrates 'Flower Painting'.